Born 04 June 1879, Beaford, Devon, England son of Thomas Llewellyn Taylor and Priscilla Jones Avery.
Taylor arrived in Nelson in 1904, moving from England for health reasons. From 1904 to 1906 he was layreader in the Murchison Parish while studying at the Bishopdale Theological College. He was curate at Greymouth in 1908 and vicar at Brunnerton from 1910-1913.
He married 21 Jun 1911 at Bishopdale Chapel, Nelson, Eleanora Sophia (Nellie) Mules (1873-1951), only daughter of the Right Rev. Charles Oliver Mules, Bishop of Nelson and Laura Mules (nee Blundell).
When the First World War broke out he went to Tapawera as chaplain at one of the Church of England Men’s Services training camps (along with the Vicar of Motupiko, Rev. G.H. Curle). He was one of the first 13 chaplains to travel to Egypt with the Main Body of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force and left for Europe on 16 October. Serial No. 6/1149.
He was wounded at Cape Helles on the Dardenelles on 15 May.
“What a good fellow he has been with the troops – working harder than anyone, and while in the firing line helping the wounded he received a bullet himself. He just kept going; never said a word about it down at the clearing station, but kept about here, cheering on the wounded and suffering. Then one of the surgeons noticed him getting whiter and that he was stained with blood and took him in hand.”
After convalescing was attached to the 2nd Canterbury Battalion in July 1915. He continued to serve on the Gallipoli Peninsula and was mentioned in dispatches for service from September to December 1915 by Gen. Sir Charles Munro.
After Gallipoli he served in France, being promoted to Chaplain 3rd Class on 10 April. He fell ill in September and was invalided to Southampton then to the New Zealand hospital ship Maheno. In January 1917 he returned to New Zealand and was discharged.
In May 1917 he resigned his parish and took up the position of chaplain at the Tauherenikau military camp.
19 January: Rev. Canon Taylor was appointed Principal Chaplain at the Trentham Military Camp, a position he held until July 1918.
He then took up work as missioner based at St Peter’s Church, Wellington and then Taylor became the first City Missioner, a position held until his death on 29 May 1937. More than 7,000 people lined the street to pay tribute at his funeral.