Born 5 November 1885 in Dunedin.
Parents – John Bannerman and Annie Low Ingram, (nee Skinner).
Siblings – Annie May (b.1887), John Gordon (b.1888), Ernest Arthur (1891-1915), Ivy Marion (b.1893).
Jean’s parents moved the family to Richmond, Nelson, in 1886. Jean attended Richmond School from August 1891 to December 1899. In 1909 she began training as a Nurse at Nelson Hospital and passed her exams in 1911. Jean then trained and qualified as a Midwife at St Helens hospital in Dunedin in 1912. She became an assistant to the Acting Matron and for two years worked at St Helens before moving to Napier in 1913.
Jean was nursing in Napier and had been promoted to Sister.
Jean was one of the first 50 nurses that the War Office in London accepted from New Zealand into Military Hospitals. She embarked on the ship “Rotorua” on 8 April and on arrival in England was then posted to the Egyptian Army Hospital in Cairo. Jean spent some time at No. 1 New Zealand Stationary Hospital at Port Said. Jean’s brother Ernest was killed at Gallipoli in 1915.
In February Jean was nursing at No. 1 New Zealand Stationary Hospital, Abassia. In March she was transferred to the Hospital ship “Tahiti” on transport duty as Matron accompanying the injured back to New Zealand. Jean again sailed to Suez, Egypt on 1 April aboard the ship “Tahiti” along with 2,200 troops. In June she sailed from Alexandra to England on the Hospital Ship “Marama” and after that was posted to No. 1 New Zealand Stationary Hospital at Amiens.
Jean spent one year at Amiens and Hazebrouck in the hospitals.
In January Jean was transferred to Oatlands Park Section at Walton-on-Thames nursing at the rehabilitation facility. For six months she was a Theatre Nurse. Jean then spent a year as sub-matron at Mount Felix Estate Military Hospital at Walton-on-Thames.
Jean embarked on the ship “Ruapehu” bound for New Zealand and was discharged on 31 March.
Jean married Hugh Eric Haggitt at Holy Trinity Church in Richmond in June 1919. The couple moved to Balclutha to farm and had one child. Jean was invested on 9 February 1920 by the Governor General with the Royal Red Cross. By 1924 Jean was living at Blackrock Station, Wairarapa, with Hugh becoming Manager. After World War Two they moved to Stoke and remained here for the rest of their lives. Hugh died in 1960 and Jean on 27 May 1966. Both were buried at Marsden Cemetery, Stoke.